
I have no problem giving up on a lot of things. That's sad to say, but it's true. I am good at quitting.
But one thing I hate to give up on is books. I cherish them way too much to quit at the first signs of a slow spot.
However, I recently gave up on one. I've had the book for a few years. When I first got it, I tried to read it but just didn't feel it. The characters got on my nerves.
The other day, I saw it, and rather than ignore it (again) and reach for one of my new books, I thought I'd give it one more try.
I started reading from the beginning again, and got farther, I think, than last time … I can probably tell if I look closely, because I think the bookmark dented the top of the pages from being in there for a few years.
Anyway, I just can't bring myself to read it. I can't. I love books about other cultures; I often seek them out and embrace everything in them, but for some reason I feel like this book is mired down by the minutae of the characters' thoughts. No matter what the culture, I can't imagine some people saying some of these things to themselves, in their own heads. I actually found myself making faces at some of the internal dialogue going on.
The other reason I hesitated to throw up a white flag on this book was because it is a Nobel Prize winner. For some reason, I felt guilty for giving up, when 'obviously it must be a good book -- it won the Nobel prize!'
But really that's a small reason. I just hate having a book sit there unread. It's a waste and makes me feel bad. But then I think, what if I die tomorrow? Do I really want to waste serious time on something I don't like just because?
So, I am sorry, 'Palace Walk.' Forgive me. But I just can't stomach you enough to finish you. I'll try to find someone more worthy of your Nobel-quality (says who!?) writing.
But one thing I hate to give up on is books. I cherish them way too much to quit at the first signs of a slow spot.
However, I recently gave up on one. I've had the book for a few years. When I first got it, I tried to read it but just didn't feel it. The characters got on my nerves.
The other day, I saw it, and rather than ignore it (again) and reach for one of my new books, I thought I'd give it one more try.
I started reading from the beginning again, and got farther, I think, than last time … I can probably tell if I look closely, because I think the bookmark dented the top of the pages from being in there for a few years.
Anyway, I just can't bring myself to read it. I can't. I love books about other cultures; I often seek them out and embrace everything in them, but for some reason I feel like this book is mired down by the minutae of the characters' thoughts. No matter what the culture, I can't imagine some people saying some of these things to themselves, in their own heads. I actually found myself making faces at some of the internal dialogue going on.
The other reason I hesitated to throw up a white flag on this book was because it is a Nobel Prize winner. For some reason, I felt guilty for giving up, when 'obviously it must be a good book -- it won the Nobel prize!'
But really that's a small reason. I just hate having a book sit there unread. It's a waste and makes me feel bad. But then I think, what if I die tomorrow? Do I really want to waste serious time on something I don't like just because?
So, I am sorry, 'Palace Walk.' Forgive me. But I just can't stomach you enough to finish you. I'll try to find someone more worthy of your Nobel-quality (says who!?) writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment