Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Seeking balance


I think most mothers' days are filled primarily with thoughts of their families. Even those of us (including me) who have full-time, rather demanding jobs have a ticker of child- and family-centered thoughts running in the back of our minds.

But that doesn't mean we cease to exist for ourselves.

I have sought out magazines and Web sites that are like-minded, but have yet to find one that really captures me. Maybe I want too much.

I even went so far as to jot down some things I wish I could read about in a woman's magazine … unfortunately it was a small slip of paper, which have little chance of surviving in a house with five people. I do recall one thing … it sounds silly but it's something I would have liked an answer to -- quick yet easy, attractive ways to toss your hair up during a harried morning at home. Especially if you work.

I guess what I am looking for, in a nutshell, is a magazine or Web site that gives me food for thought about all areas of my life -- family, work and my own interests. All without having that silly, rah-rah mom feel to it that so many parenting/woman's magazines have these days.

And instead of all the rehashed ideas for "me time," I am looking for some fresh insight, some tips on balancing life so that everyone wins out.

No comments: