Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thanks for nothing

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while. Just keep forgetting.

The lack of courtesy displayed by other adults is pathetic. Anywhere. But the one place it makes me angriest is at my son's preschool. Because not only is it just rude, but it's serving as a horrible example for their children.

I've held doors for countless people who've not responded with a simple thank you. Which, whatever. I am a big girl. It's not like I stew over it. It's just something that I find annoying.

Most of the time it's women who are rude. I realize that there is that inborn snobbery every woman seems to have toward other women. But I am not asking for a full conversation. Just a small show of couth would be nice. Especially since their little ones are often with them and will pick up on the lack of manners.

Full disclosure: I will be the first to admit that I don't consider the preschool to be a social situation for me. I take my son, be sure he's settled in, chat with the teachers and go. I don't feel a need to chat with other parents most of the time. It's not being snotty; it's just my lack of social skills. But I am never rude. There IS a difference.

"Do as I say, not as I do" is not a good method of parenting. Of course, who knows. Maybe these people don't even bother teaching their kids about manners at all. I know some of those children, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! I understand everyone is in a hurry trying to get to work or get home, but common manners take only a second. One morning someone held the door for my daughter and when she didn't say thank you, I gently reprimanded her. The other parent actually said "that's ok sweetie"...ummm no, its not ok with me. I'm her mother and I'll do the correcting, Thank you.

Me said...

Exactly. I hate when other parents intrude like that. Manners are huge in my book and if I am going to enforce them, that's my prerogative.