Like most people, I've learned to embrace technology. In the sometimes-crazy world most of us live in, e-mail is one of the only ways to stay in touch with friends. It's sad, but true. Talking on the phone? Forget it. Ever try to have a normal adult phone conversation with three kids in the house? Every other sentence is interrupted by your own voice asking the kids to please wait just a minute. So I never really try anymore. Why put them, or me, or the person on the other line, through it?
I hate to say it, but even texting has become my friend. It's easier than having to actually talk to someone sometimes.
My one friend from college, who is so much hipper than me, keeps urging me to use Facebook. (Actually, I think using the word 'hip' just cemented the fact that I am anything but.) I just don't think I can bring myself to do it. Social networking are two words, when put together, that make me cringe. Actually the word 'social' alone makes me feel uncomfortable.
Case in point: Most people think an impromptu conversation with another mom at their kid's ballet class wouldn't be anything worthy of noting.
However, last night, I found myself emailing my husband and my friend about how proud I was that my head didn't explode while conversing with said mom. (For the record -- I didn't initiate the conversation. Big surprise, I know.)
I also told them that I soon knew why this mom and I clicked. As we were walking through the parking lot, she climbed into a big black Dodge Durango with a large decal advertising "Reading Tattoo" on the back window.
Yeah. That's what I'm talking about.
So, I am wrestling with whether or not to join Facebook. A bunch of my college friends have been talking about a mini reunion, and I think they all have accounts. But I've never been one to follow trends. So maybe I'll just make them suffer and use that old dinosaur of communication -- e-mail.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, Facebook isn't so bad. You can do as little or as much as you want with it. I think I do close to the basics. People will send you stuff to try to get you to join groups and other stuff, but just click ignore and it goes away. If you open an account, you'll see what I mean.
I agree - I set up an account to learn about it for some work stuff, and it turns out its not that hard, and can be as unintrusive as you want. I too only do the basics - I think I have only 5 or 6 friends, 2 of which are family! Give it a try.
Post a Comment