Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just pedaling along, enjoying life

Of all days, I chose yesterday to go for a spur-of-the-moment bike ride. The rest of my family was at karate, and I didn't want to putter around the house like I usually do when they are gone. So I decided, in 95+ degrees, to take my bike out for the longest ride I've taken since last summer. It wasn't far by most people's standards but I'd say it was about 4 miles roundtrip. I did some roads, some trails and a few hills.
There is just something about biking that for me is such a pick-me-up. It's great exercise, I am never sore the next day, and it takes you places you can't or wouldn't ordinarily go. And it gives me a taste of refreshing freedom, to zoom around, change my course on a whim, tool along when I am captivated by the scenery and then decide to challenge myself with a hill.
We currently have one car, so I no longer have the few minutes to myself in the morning as I drive to work. As silly as it sounds, that time was important to me. After I dropped off my children, I jacked up the CD player or the radio and sang along, getting myself ready for the day. Now I am just another stop for the shuttle driver (my husband). I don't exactly envy that job either.
I felt so good, and so good about myself, after my ride yesterday. I rode into work today, too. It isn't far, but at the current gas prices, it's one small way to help. And the exercise will add up eventually! I am hoping to ride in and home each day.
I want to be healthy and fit for my children so I can continue to keep up with them, no matter what they do. And the best part -- biking requires no coordination!

No comments: