Monday, January 26, 2009

Rockin Out to the JoBros (hee hee)

I swear I am not one of those moms.
But I listen to the Jonas Brothers' latest CD. Even when my kids don't. And I know more of the songs than they do. For instance, I am listening to them right now at work, while I write an article (well, before I got distracted and started writing this entry).
I am not trying to make my kids think I am cool. I really like the band. And teen bands aren't normally my genre -- I am actually very eclectic in my music tastes, from Itzhak Perlman to Disturbed to Buckwheat Zydeco to Weezer.
To get back on point, I listen to the Jonas Brothers because I like their music -- it's catchy and fun -- and because I believe in what they are. They wear purity rings (I'm not a religious nut -- quite the opposite -- but it's refreshing to see), and they are wholesome, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, talented kids. Who happen to do a ton for charity. And they play and sing their own music, even LIVE when most artists would lip sync.
In sharp contrast to prostitot Miley Cyrus, the Jonas kids are the kinds of people I'd love my kids to look up to. Cyrus and her trashy, smart-ass personality disgust me at every turn.
So here I sit, rocking out to the Jonas Brothers at my desk. Yesterday I got on the stage my husband built for the kids and belted out two of their songs into the mic. My kids just shake their heads and smile. Well, except for my son, who sits in a little kid-chair and watches, waiting for his turn to lip sync and dance around on the stage.
Whatever floats a person's boat, right?

No comments: